Increasing Gender Equality in Male-dominated Industries Worldwide
Women represent half of the world’s employment potential, but institutional, sectoral, and cultural barriers often impede their full and effective participation in many industries. These barriers include under-representation in and exclusion from employment, especially in technical and leadership positions.
- 560 gender equality activities implemented across the employee life cycle
- More than 5,000 women hired or promoted to leadership and technical roles
- 56 gender equality policies developed by partner organizations
- More than $1 million in funding contributed to implement gender equality initiatives
Tetra Tech is advancing economic opportunities for women through the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Engendering Industries program, which was launched in 2015 as Engendering Utilities. Engendering Industries partners directly with organizations in traditionally male-dominated industries such as power, water, infrastructure, and information communications technology to employ gender equality interventions and strengthen business operations simultaneously.
The contractor’s leadership team is effective, collaborative, client-oriented, and strategic. The change management coaches, lead gender expert, and Chief of Party have received repeated praise from a range of partners.
Engendering Industries supports 98 partner organizations in 38 countries with intensive and accelerated gender programs and tailored change management coaching. We provide a comprehensive combination of training, peer mentoring, and demand-driven change management coaching. We use customized tools and best practices to:
- Provide partners with concrete actions to increase gender equality in a tangible and sustainable way at each phase of the employee life cycle through Delivering Gender Equality: A Best Practices Framework for Male-Dominated Industries
- Build partners’ staff capacity through the Workforce Gender Equality Intensive Program and the Workforce Gender Equality Accelerated Program
- Deliver male engagement workshops to raise awareness of men’s important role in changing corporate culture, foster healthy masculinity, and inspire men to become vocal leaders for gender equality
- Implement the Self-Empowerment and Equity for Change (SEE Change) initiative, in partnership with Johns Hopkins University, to empower women to realize their leadership potential and foster self-reliance
- Implement a small grants program to assist partners with resources in undertaking initiatives outlined in their gender equality action plans
Through Engendering Industries, Tetra Tech is working to institutionalize gender-inclusive policies, improve gender equality in male-dominated industries, and build the capacity of partners to implement gender equality interventions.