Tetra Tech understands hydrogen’s role in the future of energy decarbonization and has extensive experience helping our clients select technologies and processes most suitable for their project-specific and overall energy transition needs.
Tetra Tech provides planning, siting, permitting, cost/benefit analysis, engineering, and data management services to our clients looking to enter the hydrogen market. Tetra Tech’s team of scientists, engineers, and project managers has years of experience in the global energy market and helps our clients navigate the complex engineering and regulatory requirements related to hydrogen development. Our expertise includes:
- Green hydrogen production facilities (electrolysis from renewable energy)
- Blue hydrogen production facilities (steam methane reformation with carbon capture)
- Hydrogen pipeline design (including ASME B31.12)
- Hydrogen surface facilities (including compressor stations and metering)
- Hydrogen storage facilities
- Blending considerations of hydrogen into natural gas systems
- Material review and recommendations (including embrittlement and stress cracking)
Planning and Due Diligence
Tetra Tech has successfully assisted our clients during the planning stage of investment into the hydrogen market, including providing support for acquisitions, project development, risk assessment, and scheduling.
- Critical Issues Analyses (CIA) and due diligence studies
- Cost/benefit analysis
- GIS constraint mapping, modeling, and data management
- Preliminary siting and conceptual site design
- Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA)
- Community, tribal, and indigenous engagement
Environmental, Regulatory, and Permitting Services
Tetra Tech has experienced biologists, scientists, geologists, and engineers trained to address complex environmental issues and who have strong working relationships with permitting agencies.
- Biological (habitat, wildlife, rare plants, wetlands), cultural, and architectural history resources studies
- Habitat analyses, impact assessments, and mitigation development
- Noise and visual impact assessments
- Air permitting and compliance
- Comprehensive water management, planning, and water/soil remediation
- Local, state, and federal/territorial siting design and permitting
- Construction compliance and operations and maintenance services
Tetra Tech provides pipeline and facility engineering services and is well positioned to help our clients understand the key challenges and technical hurdles with producing and transporting hydrogen.
- Owner's engineer, independent engineer, engineer of record
- Feasibility studies and front end engineering design studies (Pre-FEED, FEED)
- Detailed engineering—balance of plant, OSBL, piping, compression, storage, fueling/dispensing
- Process hazard analysis (PHA)
- Procurement, vendor bid analysis, and expediting