Mining, Minerals, and Metals Consulting
Tetra Tech is a full-service engineering, design, and procurement provider for all mining, minerals, and metals projects.
Tetra Tech provides innovative, sustainable, consulting and engineering, procurement support, and construction management services. We are Leading with Science® to design and deliver solutions throughout the project life cycle for new and existing mines as well as facilities for minerals and metals production. Our multidisciplinary team consists of geologists, mining engineers, geotechnical engineers, rock mechanics specialists, civil engineers, water management specialists, mineral processing and metallurgy engineers, fluid dynamicists, data scientists, environmental and permitting specialists, cost estimators, and financial analysts.
We offer a well-established network through our 550 offices in more than 100 countries. We believe that proximity to our clients and their projects is fundamental to understanding their needs and delivering timely, comprehensive services.
As one of the top ranked Green Design Firms by Engineering News-Record, we are committed to working throughout our projects and operations to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and support global efforts to achieve the goals established by the Paris Agreement. We embrace sustainability in our project solutions and implement this vision to deliver greener projects and net zero energy programs across the globe.
Engineering and Economic Studies
Tetra Tech is a renowned leader in the field of mining consultancy and design. Our rock mechanics experts utilize probabilistic and numerical methods to evaluate pit slope stability during both the design and operational phases. Our mining industry service offerings range from conceptual evaluation of different production alternatives, scoping and feasibility studies, and detailed engineering work that abide by the Canadian Institute of Mining (CIM) Best Practice Guidelines and Canadian Securities Administrator’s NI 43-101 disclosure requirements.
- Research and development and process scaling
- Due diligence, resource modeling, economics assessments, and JORC, Securities and Exchange Commission, Canadian Stock Exchange, and London Stock Exchange compliant technical reports
- Open pit slope, waste rock dump, tailings, and stockpile design
- Rock mass and soil characterization
- Mine method selection
- Surface water management and mine dewatering
- Hydrogeological, geochemical, and geotechnical numerical modeling
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations
- Site reclamation and slope design optimization
EPCM and Sustaining Capital Services
Tetra Tech has extensive engineering, procurement, and construction management (EPCM) experience and can assist our clients in identifying potential high-cost operational problems while also providing value engineering for operations and process control. Our metallurgical engineers have extensive experience in metallurgical studies, process evaluation, process design, process engineering, plant commissioning, and plant operations in both base and precious metals projects worldwide. Our engineers and project managers draw upon years of on-site operational and design experience to assist operators in achieving reliable, productive operating facilities while prioritizing safety, operations, and maintenance.
- Preliminary and detailed engineering
- Process plant modelling and optimization
- Procurement, project, and construction management
- Asset integrity management
- Maintenance engineering and process improvement (on-site and remote)
Tetra Tech’s multidisciplinary engineers and technology experts use state-of-the-art design management software and work with our clients to develop systems that focus on constructability and operability for the end user. Our clients benefit from our ability to optimize the system’s design to achieve a higher quality product.
- Inspection and Engineer of Record (EoR) services
- Review boards and audits
- Maintenance engineering
- Revamp, rebuild, and expand in an operating environment
- Instrumentation and monitoring systems installation and support
Environmental Assessment and Mine Permitting
Tetra Tech has a strong track record in environmental assessment and permitting. Our team works closely with project proponents, regulators, First Nations, and other stakeholders, as well as our internal teams of mining, transportation, and geotechnical engineers, to design projects that are practical, balanced, and mindful of sustainable development. This integrated approach results in successful outcomes for our clients.
- Environmental permits and approvals
- Environmental baseline studies
- Environmental impacts assessment and effects monitoring
- Sustainable development
- Aboriginal and stakeholder engagement
Tetra Tech is a leader in the management and remediation of the environmental effects of tailings and mine waste. Our team has extensive experience in design, construction management, and inspection of mine tailings and waste rock facilities for projects worldwide. Tetra Tech has a reputation for identifying and implementing innovative, comprehensive, and cost-effective solutions for environmental and engineering challenges at mine sites in a range of challenging environments, including high altitude, alpine, and arctic regions with varying terrain.
- Rheology: non-Newtonian fluids and slurries
- Tailings characterization: permeability, consolidation, and minerology
- Tailings dam design and foundation investigations
- Tailings conveyance and deposition planning
- Geophysical investigation, characterization, and microseismic monitoring
- Tailings water treatment
- Additive screening, process design, and optimization
Health and Safety Commitment
Tetra Tech is a leader in safety planning and performance, consistently applying the highest standards in health and safety practices to all our projects around the world. This commitment to safety excellence extends across the entire organization—from corporate leadership to local project staff. Clients have direct access to our program information and ratings through BROWZ and ISNetworld.
Environmental and Social Responsibility
Tetra Tech helps mining companies build and maintain relationships with communities and local governments. We offer expertise to support corporate social responsibility and environmental programs, as well as adherence to the Equator Principles for determining, assessing, and managing social and environmental risks and the associated reporting requirement for funding emerging mine projects and significant mine expansions.
Connect with us. Reach out to our mining and manufacturing experts.