Planning and Assessments
Tetra Tech knows there is no one-size-fits-all model for developing plans. Successful planning requires stakeholder input, providing multiple opportunities for feedback and engagement. Our planners have successfully helped thousands of clients conduct assessments and develop plans to prepare for and respond to emergencies and disasters, regardless of the hazard.
All-Hazards Preparedness Planning
We work with clients to develop actionable plans customized to their needs, as well as implementation tools to help manage operations during a response. A suite of all-hazards plans that integrates the needs of stakeholders and vulnerable populations helps a community or organization prepare for future emergencies and disasters.
- Comprehensive emergency management plans (CEMP)
- Emergency operations plans (EOP) and related annexes
- Continuity of operations plans (COOP) and continuity of government (COG) plans
- Pandemic and communicable disease plans
- Pre-disaster recovery plans (PDRP)
- Transit and transportation security and emergency preparedness plans (SEPP)
- Disaster debris management plans (DDMP)
- Mass casualty/family assistance plans
- Evacuation plans
Tetra Tech is a leader in developing hazard mitigation plans for states, communities, businesses, and utilities. Multihazard mitigation plans help clients identify and understand risks from natural and human-caused hazards and develop strategies to reduce impacts on infrastructure, the environment, and surrounding communities.
- Multihazard mitigation plans
- Hazard identification and modeling
- Benefit-cost analysis (BCA)
- Community engagement
- Community Rating System (CRS)
Long-Term Strategic Planning
We work closely with clients to understand their situations and identify long-term strategies to enhance the outlooks for their communities or organizations. By reviewing historical data and current models and forecasting future trends, we help clients anticipate conditions and identify strategies to help their communities become more resilient and economically stable.
- Economic development planning
- Community resilience plans
- Climate change adaptation planning
- Post-disaster community rebuilding
- Trend analysis and forecasting
Hazard, Risk, and Vulnerability Assessments
Identifying vulnerabilities requires an understanding of the hazards, threats, and risks facing a community or organization. We use this understanding to develop strategies that minimize impacts or avoid exploitation. Our clients count on Tetra Tech to identify all pertinent threats—human-caused, technological, or natural. We incorporate this information into easily understood assessments that are accompanied by realistic and implementable solutions to limit risk and vulnerability.
- Threat and vulnerability assessment (TVA)
- Security and risk assessment
- Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (THIRA)
- Climate change vulnerability assessment
- Community resilience assessment
Community and Stakeholder Engagement
Tetra Tech helps our clients build and sustain meaningful relationships with essential partners. The success of government agencies, cutting-edge businesses, and impactful not-for-profit organizations depends on building strong partnerships and directly engaging with their stakeholders and constituents. Tetra Tech can create environments focused on gathering input and fostering relationships between our clients and their partners. Our team demonstrates meaningful results based upon strategic input, whether this audience is the whole community, a subset of constituents, or a group of stakeholders.
Equitable Community Engagement
Tetra Tech helps our clients conduct engagement activities throughout the planning, response, and recovery life cycle by facilitating a strategic approach unique to each community’s strengths and challenges. Tetra Tech has decades of experience developing client-driven programs effectively incorporating the diverse needs of the entire community by identifying organizations and individuals active in the community, especially those focused on vulnerable and underserved populations. Our team excels in facilitating connection-building and gathering input from key community stakeholders and providing recommended equitable community engagement strategies.
- Multifaceted approach for gathering input for planning projects
- Community-based group facilitation
- Customized public engagement and outreach
- Executive-level engagement
- Expert strategy development
Technology for Engagement
Tetra Tech embraces opportunities to use tools, including polling software, online surveys, video conferences, and interactive maps and content displays to gain the valuable perspective of stakeholders and the community throughout project development and planning processes. We assist clients to develop unique and meaningful community-based solutions valuing the input of all participants.
- After-action reporting
- Hazard mitigation planning
- Public opinion sessions and town hall meetings
- Training and exercises
Training and Exercises
Tetra Tech is a proven leader in supporting our clients as they build successful emergency and disaster programs through customized training and exercise activities. Training provides necessary skills and proficiency in technological tools for private sector and local, county, state, and federal emergency program managers to use during mitigation, planning, response, and recovery activities. Tetra Tech develops innovative exercises that integrate the skills learned during training and validates the plans, policies, and procedures developed to respond to and recover from disasters.
Tetra Tech provides training related to all phases of emergency management and disaster response. Our instructors implement instructional design processes focused on adult learners to deliver effective training programs. Programs focus on the needs of the learner, including hard and soft skills that are critical in emergency management and community resilience.
- Environmental response training programs, including HAZMAT
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) G-series courses
- Handling of radiologically contaminated patients (MS-1) for hospitals and emergency medical services (EMS)
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) donning and doffing
- Incident Command System (ICS) and Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) training
Exercises allow participants to apply their knowledge, skills, and abilities in a no-fault learning environment. Tetra Tech customizes exercises based on the goals and objectives identified by the client planning team and the operating environment. Current plans, policies, and procedures are used to develop exercise evaluation guides and to predict player expected actions.
- Homeland Security Exercise Evaluation Program (HSEEP)-compliant programs
- Drills and games
- After-action report and improvement plans (AAR/IP)
Tailored Technology Solutions
Tetra Tech leverages in-house information technology and graphics professionals to develop engaging training and exercise products. We use commercially available tools to develop and deploy highly customized mapping, computer-based training, support websites, and video. These solutions augment traditional in-person instructor training, remote learning, and traditional exercises—especially those involving multiple venues.
- Online tools with mobile support
- Stakeholder engagement through real-time polling
- Story mapping employing Section 508-compliant engagement tools
- Virtual exercise design and facilitation
Connect with us. Reach out to our disaster and emergency management experts.