Carbon Capture and Sequestration
Tetra Tech provides specialty services across the CCS asset lifecycle—from capture and transportation through injection and storage—to help solve complex problems in an urbanizing and resource-scarce world. Our interdisciplinary teams of scientists, engineers, planners, and regulatory experts use Tetra Tech’s Leading with Science® approach to responsibly maximize clients’ return on investment. With deep technical resources and strong local knowledge, we are uniquely positioned to support the effective design and implementation of CCS projects across the globe.
Feasibility Analysis and Data Collection
Tetra Tech has extensive subsurface geology and engineering experience in the Americas, the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, and other regions. We leverage our global knowledge base to validate the technical, regulatory, and financial feasibility of potential project sites.
- Geologic site characterization
- Storage zone capacity estimates
- Preliminary infrastructure planning and cost estimating
- Environmental monitoring programs
- Seismic data acquisition
- Test well planning and execution
Tetra Tech provides a wide range of permitting support for carbon dioxide (CO2) injection wells, natural and cultural resources, and associated infrastructure. Our team provides timely and cost-efficient services related to CCS permitting.
- Support for state regulatory agencies seeking primacy for Class VI Underground Injection Control (UIC)
- Induced seismicity risk evaluation and monitoring
- Geologic modeling and reservoir simulation
- Class VI UIC permitting application plans
- Public safety and environmental risk analysis
- Alternative critical pressure calculations for corrective action evaluation and planning
- Stakeholder and community engagement
Engineering and Design
Tetra Tech provides professional engineering services for the design of wells, pipelines, and related facilities, in addition to routing and mapping services.
- Supercritical CO2 hydraulics and pipe stress analysis
- SCADA operational automation and monitoring design
- Asset integrity and repurposing
- Pipeline failure and release modeling
- Class VI well design using corrosion-resistant alloys
Construction Phase Services
We offer construction phase services for unique projects with complex regulatory requirements. Tetra Tech uses state-of-the-art tools including GIS to provide real-time progress monitoring.
- Project controls, scheduling, project management, and construction support
- Procurement support for specialty materials based on CO2 stream analysis
- Wellsite geology and supervision
- Coring program development and data collection
Once projects are operational, Tetra Tech supports critical services to monitor and verify that the injection and storage system is performing as designed and to meet regulatory reporting requirements.
- Testing and monitoring program design and implementation
- Monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) and monitoring, measurement, and verification (MMV) support
- 4-D seismic survey design, management, and interpretation
- Plume-tracking technology implementation
Connect with us. Reach out to our sustainable energy solutions experts.