Mine Closure and Reclamation
Tetra Tech offers comprehensive life of mine and abandoned mine services with science-based, technology-driven solutions, including services to complete mine closures and restore previously mined lands to productive uses or native ecosystems.
Tetra Tech’s combination of experienced, interdisciplinary teams provide comprehensive environmental and engineering services for successful mine closure and reclamation projects around the world.
Our service delivery consistently exceeds expectations in today’s demanding market without compromising quality, safety, or integrity. Tetra Tech is one of the rare global companies who provide comprehensive services spanning the full mining life cycle. All phases of a project’s life cycle are covered, from identification to handover. Tetra Tech’s strengths include study, design, and engineering, procurement, construction management, and project execution services for the mining, mineral processing, and infrastructure sectors across a wide range of commodities.
Our expertise was recognized by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PDEP) when our team won the 2022 Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence for our work performed on the South Fayette Conservation Group for Gladden Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) Treatment Plant Project.
Tetra Tech specializes in abandoned mine land (AML) reclamation and water treatment. Our team implements cost-effective, innovative solutions for our clients’ most complex challenges. Local government agencies and nongovernmental organizations working to address and reclaim legacy mining sites often are working with limited budgets, so we will provide solutions that are most impactful with the limited funds available. Tetra Tech is uniquely equipped to assess and guide our clients through complex and unforeseen challenges at AML sites.
Health and Safety Commitment
Tetra Tech is a leader in safety performance, consistently applying the highest standards in health and safety practices to all our projects around the world. This commitment to safety excellence extends across the entire organization—from corporate leadership to local project staff.
Environmental and Social Responsibility
Tetra Tech helps mining companies build and maintain relationships with communities and local governments. We offer expertise to support corporate social responsibility and environmental programs, as well as adherence to the Equator Principles for determining, assessing, and managing social and environmental risks and the associated reporting requirement for funding emerging mine projects and significant mine expansions.
Mine Closure and Remediation Services
Tetra Tech has developed best practices based on decades of successful mine closure and reclamation, and applies these best practices to foster economic, environmentally feasible plans for closure. We provide innovative solutions tailored to support our clients’ reclamation goals.
- Reclamation plan development and cost estimation, including asset retirement obligation, life of mine, and financial assurance and bonding
- Facility decommissioning
- Alternatives analysis and feasibility studies
- Mine waste geochemical characterizations/management and acid rock drainage prevention and mitigation
- Mine water treatment and water management
- Closure permitting and design, including hydrologic erosion and sediment control design
- Engineering, procurement, and construction management
- Community engagement social impacts
- Post-closure site management: revegetation planning, design, and performance monitoring
Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation Services
Tetra Tech works closely with our clients and communities to achieve economic and community goals in conjunction with the reclamation and restoration of legacy AML sites. Our mining experts conduct investigations (environmental, geophysical, and geotechnical), risk assessments, engineering designs, environmental permitting, feasibility studies, construction management, and completed project monitoring to help abate problems caused by historic mining.
- Surface mine and open pit reclamation
- Landslide stabilization including slope stability analysis and evaluation
- Mine refuse and tailings evaluations and remediation
- Mine fire extinguishment and control
- Mine subsidence control
- Closure of mine openings (shafts, portals, slopes, and adits)
- Pit lake and underground mine pool evaluations and management
- Active and passive acid mine drainage (AMD) treatment facilities and AMD remediation
- Groundwater and potable water supply evaluations and restoration
Connect with us. Reach out to our mining and manufacturing experts.