KLCC Convention Centre Hotel, Malaysia
Tetra Tech’s High Performance Buildings Group provided design services for the KLCC Convention Centre Hotel, which is a 600 room Traders Business Hotel located above the KLCC Convention Centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Size: 600 rooms
- Construction Cost: RM$550 million (USD$130 million)
- Client: KLCC Convention Centre Hotel
- Architect: Cox Architects
- Completion Date: 2003
Tetra Tech was selected to design fire protection, vertical transportation, and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) services for the project. Cox Architects, completed the project from the firm’s Melbourne base.
The hotel design team was hired separately to the construction team. This raised several unique design and coordination challenges including:
- Coordination with the Convention Centre, which was already largely designed prior to Tetra Tech's involvement. This required our team to quickly comprehend the capabilities of the current structure and design, to enable smooth integration with the proposed additions and alterations. By collaborating closely, our team was able to ensure that the new designs met the targeted operational and efficiency performance targets.
- Extending site infrastructure to the hotel site through the Convention Centre structure. This required additional consideration around the performance capacity of the HVAC system and electrical plant, particularly due to the variable occupancy and activity in such a large space.
- Coordination of in ground services with existing services and the Convention Centre structure. Minimizing the earthworks and wall penetrations was identified as a desirable way to keep costs down. By coordinating with the Convention Centre team, Tetra Tech was able to ensure the systems could be constructed with minimal disruption to the planned budget and timeline.
- Merging best practice Australian design and Malaysian design construction methods.
Tetra Tech also provided architectural lighting design of the guest room lighting solutions throughout the hotel, the external facades, and all public areas including the main reception, the interface to the convention center, the restaurant, gymnasium and skydeck pool and bar area on level 26.
The intention of the lighting and interior design for the hotel was to provide a 5-star hotel experience in a 4-star business hotel. In the reception areas, integrated concealed cove lighting wraps around the drop ceiling elements, while multi-downlight fittings provide functional lighting within the public areas. Localized LED and fluorescent luminaires are concealed in joinery units and Onyx bar structures to create visual features and ambient light to add drama and contrast during evening hours.
Tetra Tech also assisted in the development of the digital image and moving head Gobo projection systems that illuminated the large vaulted Barrisol ceiling of the restaurant, which created a dynamic environment for guests.