Gahcho Kué Diamond Project, Kennady Lake, Northwest Territories
The Gahcho Kué Diamond Mine is being developed in a remote location in the Northwest Territories. The large-scale mine requires specific operating facilities along with housing and facilities for the 300 to 400 workers needed to operate the mine. Tetra Tech’s specialized expertise is required to ensure that the remote location, sensitive terrain, and pristine environment are considered during mine planning, construction, and operation.
Tetra Tech has been involved in the Gahcho Kué Diamond Project in the Northwest Territories since 1997, beginning with the design and construction of a containment facility for the exploration program’s drill cuttings and wastewater and annual geotechnical inspection and maintenance of the facility. Over the past four years, Tetra Tech has provided geotechnical engineering throughout the feasibility, detailed design, and early construction phases. The work has included design for the waste and water management plan, water and tailings dykes, airstrip, haul roads and pads, winter spur ice road, and tank farm, and the associated licensing and permitting. Tetra Tech’s geophysical team has also provided hydrology and hydraulics expertise to the project through bathymetric surveys and profiles.
Tetra Tech prepared environmental baseline studies and the environmental assessment. These activities included wildlife inventories, fish and fish habitat surveys, ecosystem classification and mapping, hydrology, water quality, and regulatory reviews.
Our work on the project has included:
- Feasibility studies, and closure/reclamation planning
- Water and waste management plans
- Geotechnical site investigation and drilling programs
- Permafrost and surficial geology mapping
- Design of civil infrastructure components
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Closure and reclamation planning
- Environmental monitoring
- Permitting and regulatory support
- GIS mapping and spatial data management
- Water sampling and water quality analysis
- Wildlife and vegetation inventory and analysis