Leading with Science by managing legacy contamination at Australian Department of Defence sites
PFAS Assessment, Design, and Remediation
Tetra Tech provides expert technical services for assessment and treatment of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in soils and water supplies.
PFAS—emerging, persistent compounds that resist degradation in the environment—are used in many consumer and industrial applications, including stain- and water-resistant coatings for carpets and fabric, commercial household products, production facilities, and firefighting foams. Because of their extensive production and use, PFAS have become widely distributed in the environment and detected in water, air, food, wildlife, and humans. PFAS can accumulate and stay in the human body for extended periods of time, and evidence suggests that prolonged exposure can lead to adverse health outcomes.
Tetra Tech performs assessment, engineering design, and remediation of PFAS-contaminated sites in locations around the world, from the United States to Australia. Our experts combine state-of-the-art techniques with demonstrated best practices.
Our team possesses the analytical chemistry expertise to ensure that PFAS identification, analyses, and remediation are conducted in accordance with strict, project-specific requirements using the most reliable and consistent analytical data currently available.
Tetra Tech’s services encompass all aspects of the water cycle, help protect public health, and improve quality of life. Tetra Tech’s drinking water and groundwater experts work with communities to reduce PFAS concentrations in water supplies using state-of-the-art solutions such as reverse osmosis, nanofiltration, and ion exchange.
- Site investigations
- Data review and work plan development
- Target analyte reporting lists
- Standardized procedures development for large sampling programs
- Community outreach and engagement
Assessment and Analysis
- Monitoring well and borings installation
- Groundwater, surface water, stormwater, wastewater, and soil and sediment sampling
- Groundwater fate and transport modeling
- Human health and ecological risk assessment
- Pre- and post-treatment system (e.g., activated carbon, reverse osmosis) sampling
Engineering Design, Remediation, and Research and Development
- Treatment system design, construction, and operation and maintenance (O&M)
- Groundwater extraction, carbon filtration, anion exchange, and reverse osmosis
- Electrochemical precipitation
- Advanced chemical oxidation and biological techniques
Investigating the feasibility of replenishing of an aquifer system with purified water
Ensuring sufficient water supply for current and future needs of Texas’ second-largest city
Using an innovative evaluation process to identify and provide treatment solutions for effluent toxicity for a global food and beverage manufacturer