Tetra Tech supports mine development using several execution methods to take projects through the construction stage and to deliver open cut and underground mines and solution milling projects for fully operational mining and milling facilities.
Our staff can act as an extension of a client’s team, as well as provide full-service support from design through construction, commissioning, and startup. By engaging our multiphase support services, our clients receive the benefit of our expertise and project-specific knowledge throughout the project life cycle. Project delivery options include the following:
- Detailed engineering design
- Engineering and procurement support
- Engineering, procurement, and construction
- Construction-only services
- Construction management services
- Engineering, procurement, and construction management
Tetra Tech provides conceptual, preliminary, basic, and detailed engineering design for greenfield and brownfield mine development, expansion, process optimization, and maintenance engineering projects. Our team includes multiple engineering disciplines to address full-service solutions—from mining, metallurgical, and process engineering to civil, geotechnical, geological, structural, mechanical, infrastructure, electrical, instrumentation and controls, and architectural specialties.
- Site infrastructure and layout: Site layout and grading, pipelines and pumps, roads, building systems, and ancillary facilities
- Mine facilities design: Mine design for open pit, tailings management facilities, heap leach facilities, conveyor systems, and underground mine design and ventilation shafts
- Transportation engineering: Engineering and planning for transportation routes including roadways, railways, slurry pipelines, ports and marine terminals, air strips, and ice roads
- Power services: Design and construction for overhead and underground transmission and distribution systems, substations, and switchyards, and design systems for backup and peaking power generation to meet projected needs
- Process engineering: Test work evaluations, flow sheet, piping and instrumentation diagram development, plant design, cost estimating, equipment sizing and selection support, and manpower requirements and materials handling capacities for crushing and grinding rolls, gravity separation, carbon-in-pulp and carbon-in-leach, flotation, screening, thickening and dewatering, heap leaching, bio-leaching, and smelting
- Water management: Surface water management, dewatering, water supply, water supply reservoir management, water distribution plans, tailings and heap leach facilities, process fluid and industrial fluid management, decommissioning, and post-closure water management
- Tailings management: Every aspect of mine tailings impoundment facilities, from background studies and environmental assessments, to mine waste disposal planning and design, and dam design and closure planning
Procurement and Contract Execution
Tetra Tech offers international procurement and logistics support to secure equipment for mining and milling operations during planning phases for long-lead-time equipment and during construction to ensure the equipment arrives on time to prevent construction delays. Our teams also provide bidding support to take the project to the next stage.
- Materials management and procurement
- Vendor selection, equipment and materials sourcing
- Independent quality assurance during manufacturing and fabrication
- Continuous expediting
- Planning and transportation
- Bid process management
Construction and Construction Management
Our number one goal is project execution that is safe, on time, and on budget. Our experts help clients address the complexities of large infrastructure and improvement construction for mining and milling projects. We help meet schedules, control costs, maintain quality, and manage both people and conditions.
- Construction services: Complete, turnkey construction services
- Resident engineering and engineer of record services: Monitor workmanship, answer field questions that arise, and ensure conformance to project designs and specifications
- Quality assurance and quality control: Including field observation and testing of fill placement, liner systems, drilled pier installation, and pile driving
- Lined impoundment installation: Liners and caps including compacted clay, amended soil, HDPE, LLDPE, VLDPE, Hypalon, PVC, geosynthetic clay liners, geotextiles, and geogrids
- Facility commissioning: Expert services to ensure that the facility is inspected, tested, and fully functioning upon handover to the owner
- Construction management services: Providing the link between owner and project, and handling technical and supervisory tasks including evaluating plans, specifications, budgets, and schedules
Health and Safety Commitment
Tetra Tech is a leader in safety performance, consistently applying health and safety practices to all projects around the world. This commitment to safety excellence extends across the entire organization—from corporate leadership to local project staff. Clients have direct access to our program information and ratings through BROWZ and ISNetworld.
Environmental and Social Responsibility
Tetra Tech helps mining companies build and maintain relationships with communities and local governments. We offer expertise to support corporate social responsibility and environmental programs, as well as adherence to the Equator Principles for determining, assessing, and managing social and environmental risks and the associated reporting requirement for funding emerging mine projects and significant mine expansions.