Environmental Management for the Oil Sector, Uganda
Environmental Management for the Oil Sector (EMOS), funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development, was developed to assist in building capacity to address the environmental threats emanating from development of an oil industry in Uganda’s biodiverse Albertine Rift. The overall aim of the project is to improve Ugandan understanding of oil and gas development and prepare the country to address, and also prevent, damaging impacts on biodiversity and ecosystems.
Through EMOS, Tetra Tech is working toward three ultimate goals:
- Strengthen capacity of Government of Uganda institutions to manage the environmental impacts of the oil and gas sector
- Develop academic programs to manage and respond to the environmental impacts of the oil and gas sector
- Increase knowledge of the oil and gas sector for Ugandan civil society to participate in decision-making processes
Tetra Tech is working with government agencies, academic institutions, civil society organizations, and the private sector to improve Uganda’s ability to fully integrate environmental protection and biodiversity conservation. Our focus is on regulatory and business processes that control the exploration and production of oil and gas in Uganda. We are working to improve the capacity of Ugandan professionals to manage environmental impacts of the oil and gas sector. These professionals will have the knowledge and experience required to make informed decisions regarding future oil and gas sector policy and management.
To ensure that capacity-building focuses on the priority institutions, Tetra Tech is in the process of:
- Assessing institutional mapping of key government agencies with respect to previous capacity building for environmental management of the oil and gas sector
- Performing a biodiversity threat reduction analysis of the oil sector
- Conducting in-depth capacity needs assessments and work plans for each institution to determine specific needs of the government, civil society, and the private sector
- Developing a communications, outreach, and public awareness strategy
- Performing a training needs assessment for local leadership and technical officers in oil-affected districts