Administrative Facility, Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia
Working for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command Mid-Atlantic, Tetra Tech completed this $30.1 million design-build administrative facility project with design partner Burgess & Niple.
The 85,000-square-foot, 3-story administrative facility provides extensive office space, collaborative planning and conference space, and a large war-gaming area. The facility is architecturally compatible with surrounding facilities while projecting a contemporary image.
I'm certain that the quality of the construction will be exceeded only by the quality of the people that occupy the building. We are already making great use of [it].Rear Admiral Wendi Carpenter, Commander of Navy Welfare Development Command, Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, October 2010
- Secure video teleconferencing facilities with plasma screens, smart technology, and encryption devices for transmitting top secret communications
- Conference center with extensive audiovisual equipment for multimedia presentations
- Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility with an interior vault for managing highly classified materials
- Raised-floor computer facility capable of supporting 400-person war games on a secure local area network
- Security system to control access within the various security spaces throughout the building including video monitoring, badge readers, and interior and exterior alarm notification system
The new Naval Station Norfolk administrative facility meets appropriate U.S. Department of Defense antiterrorism and force protection standards, featuring blast-resistant windows and structural features to prevent progressive collapse. It is LEED self-certified.