Highlights: Sustainability Practice Achievements
Tetra Tech compiles best practices from our operations and corporate service groups by means of a sustainability survey. This survey is used to identify sustainable practices that can be transferred enterprise-wide and used to assess participation in our Sustainability Program.
Selected examples of these initiatives are provided below, and additional information will be highlighted on tetratech.com throughout 2017. In 2016 our employees donated more than $492,200 and more than 4,900 volunteer hours to international, national, and local charities and organizations.
Supporting the Environment
In addition to providing innovative technical services to help clients create resilient infrastructure and manage natural resources, Tetra Tech and its employees engage in sustainable activities that support clean water and a healthy environment.
- Volunteers from Tetra Tech’s Marlborough, Massachusetts, office teamed up with the City of Marlborough for Project Clean Sweep to help collect more than 1,000 pounds of trash along local roads
- Recycling approximately 10,000 pounds of paper each year, our McClellan, California, office is one of many offices that participate in paper recycling programs
- Each year, employees in Tetra Tech’s Winnipeg, Canada, office compete in a national challenge to reduce their carbon footprint by tracking their sustainable commuting methods, including public transportation, walking, carpooling, and biking
- Automatic, double-sided printing is used in 66 percent of Tetra Tech offices around the globe (based on 2016 survey data)
- Low-flow toilets in our office in Tauranga, New Zealand, save 1,400 gallons of water per year
- Tetra Tech employees in Lexington, Kentucky, collect and compost used tea bags and coffee grounds, generating 312 pounds of organic material in 2016
Supporting our Local Communities Worldwide
Tetra Tech supports communities around the world through various outreach efforts. In 2016 Tetra Tech supported Engineers Without Borders (EWB) through its Global Clean Water Fund, EWB-USA Grant Program, and annual Charity of the Year campaign. Tetra Tech also launched its Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Program as part of the company’s 50th Anniversary in 2016. During the first year, employees completed 60 STEM events, reaching more than 5,000 people. In addition, Tetra Tech offices around the world give back to their local communities through financial, in-kind, volunteer, and pro bono activities.
- Tetra Tech’s Burlington, Vermont, office supports the National Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society by hosting dinner events and participating in an annual MS Walk, raising $2,500 for the organization in 2016
- Employees from Tetra Tech’s office in Arlington, Virginia, volunteer weekly at a local nonprofit that aims to end chronic homelessness in Washington, DC, serving food to homeless community members in need
- Tetra Tech employees in London, England, supported various Christmas activities at the Great Ormont Street Hospital, including providing Christmas jumpers, hosting a Secret Santa event, and raising more than $500 for the hospital
- Employees in our Alberta offices conducted various fundraisers to benefit the United Way, raising more than $31,000 in 2016 through guest speaker luncheons, bake sales, and raffles
- Employees across Tetra Tech collected and donated more than 8,637 in-kind items to charity, including clothing, books, and toys
- In San Luis Obispo, California, Tetra Tech employees offered their expertise and assistance to teach an annual Industrial Pollution Prevention class at California Polytechnic State University
- In Western Australia, Tetra Tech donated computer monitors, desktop PCs, and laptops to the Lions Club of City of Perth, which supports orphanages, schools, education organizations, and local seniors