Ensuring safe operation for airports that serve as a lifeline for remote communities in Northern Canada
Airports and Aviation
In a world dominated by increasing change and a demand for safety and efficiency, Tetra Tech’s airports and aviation practice offers a broad range of consulting and project management services relating to planning, engineering design, construction, airport and air carrier operations, airport and airline safety and environmental management, and program support services such as Performance Based Navigation (PBN).
Our team of planners, engineers, aviation specialists, technologists, and support staff come from a broad range of backgrounds in the aviation and transportation industry. Our clients recognize our ability to provide sound program management, excellent service, and innovative solutions.
Our employees have participated in and successfully completed hundreds of assignments for airlines, government agencies, airports, and navigational facilities throughout North America and the international marketplace.
Our aviation experts use the latest modeling tools to implement safe and harmonized procedures, allowing pilots and controllers to achieve efficiency gains on the ground while maintaining the highest level of safety. Tetra Tech works with industry partners to achieve the environmental and safety imperatives demanded by an increasingly complex world.
Tetra Tech has been a leading provider of safety management services for Canadian certified airports since 2007. Our experts also assisted with writing the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Office of Airports SMS Order (5200.11) and associated policies, procedures, and implementation plans.
Tetra Tech environmental specialists also ensure sustainable operations are incorporated in the aviation safety portfolio. The fusion of operational efficiencies, technology, and aviation policy comes together in the airports. Tetra Tech has been instrumental in developing Airport Council International’s Airport Carbon and Emissions Reporting Tool (ACERT).
Architectural and Engineering Services
Tetra Tech offers a broad range of services to the airport industry including planning; design; and environmental, regulatory, and construction management of airport facilities and related infrastructure. Our multidisciplinary team of planners, engineers, aviation specialists, pilots, airport managers, and environmental scientists are able to provide a unique perspective to clients.
- Airside and groundside engineering (civil, electrical)
- Road and bridge engineering
- Navigational aids and approach systems design
- Passenger terminal building development (architectural, mechanical, structural, electrical, security systems)
- Apron and gate planning
- Passenger boarding bridge selection and installation
- Baggage handling systems
- Fuel system design, construction, and monitoring
- Stormwater systems design and management
- Plan of construction operations and safety phasing plans
- Asset and pavement life cycle management and systems
- Airport master planning
- Land use planning
- Greenfield site selection
- Traffic impact assessments
- Funding applications
Airport Operation Services
Our airport operation services are predicated upon system safety and environmental sustainability.
- Safety management system design and implementation
- Airport regulatory compliance and the Airport Certificate
- Obstacle limitation surfaces
- ICAO Type A charts
- Airside self-inspection safety programs
- Airside vehicle operations programs
- Bird and wildlife risk assessments and management plans
- Emergency response and aircraft rescues and fire fighting
- Emergency planning
- Winter operations and aircraft movement surface condition reporting
- De-icing plans and glycol mitigation studies
As the leading provider of Performance Based Navigation (PBN) and information technology services for aviation clients for more than 20 years, Tetra Tech understands the safety expectations of government and the traveling public. Tetra Tech provides in-depth aerospace advisory services to regulators, air carriers, and the government and defense sectors with unparalleled, internationally-recognized industry expertise using cross-functional teams focused on the client’s needs.
Tetra Tech has the engineering knowledge and FAA domain expertise to apply aviation technologies to airspace management, both domestically and internationally. Tetra Tech plays a vital role in the development of the FAA Next Generation (NextGen) Air Transportation System through our support to the program offices of the Space Based Augmentation System (SBAS) and Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS), the Ground Based Augmentation System (GBAS) and Local Area Augmentation System (LAAS), and the Area Navigation (RNAV) and Required Navigation Performance Group.
- Airspace implementation, integration, and redesign
- Air transport aircraft and operations performance
- PBN approach design and implementation
- Air traffic control
- Operational implementation of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) such as WAAS and LAAS
- GNSS training
- Systems and software engineering
- Communication navigation surveillance (CNS) and air traffic management (ATM)
- Systems security
- Data collection, fuel consumption, air quality studies, and noise studies
- Program and project management of large and complex aviation projects
- Financial management, such as budget formulation, execution, and earned value management (EVM)
- 3D Airspace Visualization
Tetra Tech designs, develops, implements, certifies, and audits safety solutions. Our expertise covers all facets of safety management systems (SMS). We help the aviation industry meet new regulatory requirements to implement SMS for their operations, helping organizations identify risks and address core safety needs.
- SMS program development, including ICAO and FAA compliant SMS programs
- Safety risk management and safety reporting systems
- SMS quality assurance audits and corrective action plans
- SMS employee training support
- Human factors
- Airline safety data management and analysis
Our safety and environmental experts use the FAA legacy environmental tools such as the Integrated Noise Model (INM), the Aviation Environmental Design Tool, and the Emissions and Dispersion Modeling System (EDMS) to implement safe and harmonized procedures, which allow pilots and controllers to achieve efficiency gains while maintaining the safety of the airspace. Tetra Tech has developed NextGen procedures at several airports and examined noise and other environmental impacts using FAA-approved screening software.
- Strategic environmental designs
- Noise mapping
- PBN environmental scoping statements
- Carbon management and greenhouse gas emissions inventories
- Noise exposure forecasting
- Noise attenuation studies and remediation
- Environmental remediation and treatment systems
- Energy management
- Environmental assessments and management plans
- Environment management systems and compliance auditing