Providing key technical and environmental support to pave the way for the first new U.S. nuclear power operating license in more than 30 years
Environmental Services for Nuclear Plant Licensing
Tetra Tech provides a range of environmental-related licensing services to the nuclear industry. Because of our experience monitoring regulatory developments in multiple sectors, we can anticipate the most appropriate response options to help our clients meet their environmental obligations. Our team helps clients understand and address complex environmental regulations and programs designed to protect our resources. Our knowledge was gained through years of assisting clients in a diverse range of industries—from petrochemical producers and refineries to automotive and manufacturing industries and major utilities, including nuclear power facilities—navigate regulatory requirements.
Our staff, which includes technical experts with experience in environmental modeling, are knowledgeable about 10 CFR 50, 10 CFR 52, 10 CFR 71, and 10 CFR 72 requirements. In addition, Tetra Tech regularly prepares environmental reports in support of license renewal, power uprates, and new plant applications. We have provided license renewal support for more than 60 percent of the reactors in the United States, including Calvert Cliffs, the very first license renewal applicant.
Our experts also have provided power uprate assistance at eight reactors, combined license support at nine sites, and early site permit supplication support at three sites. By providing this type of support, Tetra Tech has ensured the availability of more than 58,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity.
Tetra Tech also provides comprehensive operational support services to assist clients in complying with federal, state, and individual plant operating permit and license requirements. These services can be provided in accordance with our 10 CFR 50 Appendix B Quality Assurance Program.
Our multidiscipline staff have a unique combination of core competencies in various environmental assessment and compliance services, including:
- Air and water modeling
- Alternate site assessments
- Cultural resource surveys
- Entrainment and impingement evaluations
- Environmental audits, impact statements, and reports
- NEPA and other regulatory compliance
- Protected species and critical habitat surveys
- Radiological assessments—surveys, risk, and dose assessment
- Socioeconomic and environmental justice analyses
- Thermal plume and atmospheric modeling—SACTI, XODDOQ, GASPAR, and CORMIX
- Transportation risk assessment—RADTRAN, RISKIND, and WebTRAGIS
- Steam assisted gravity drainage
- Water use conflict assessment